Unification Theological Seminary Global
- by Robin James Graham, Director of Institutional Advancement
UTS introduced distance education in the late 1990s, through correspondence courses and dial-in telephone calls. Embracing new technology, UTS education can now be accessed easily by students worldwide; the UTS-Online program, launched in October 2017, brings the UTS mission of "bridging religious and cultural divides" to a global audience.
UTS uses the Canvas learning management platform: "Canvas is the best educational learning management system on the market today" (PCMagazine. January, 2018)
Students don’t have to relocate to obtain the education they seek; they can remain where they live and work and get the theological and ministry training they want.
Recent research in higher education shows that students taking online courses achieve learning outcomes that are as good as, or better than, those achieved by students engaged in residential programs.“… results indicate that online learning is becoming a proven pedagogy for theological schools.” Association of Theological Schools
The feedback is that professors and students are finding that virtual teaching is as stimulating and engaging as face-to-face learning.
I like UTS-Online. It provides enough flexibility to fit my schedule. The professors do a great job. - Richard Buessing (New York, USA)
The CANVAS program allows the students to have discussions that explore the sensitive subject matter in a very positive and encouraging way. - Dr. Tyler Hendricks (North Carolina, USA)
My honest impression of the online course is it’s very convenient. I have multiple jobs and no time to spend attending school. - Kenichi Ito (Marshall Islands)
“UTS-Online lets me access the classes and content that interests me, which I otherwise wouldn't be able to do. Through UTS-Online, I have been able to learn from one of the greatest Divine Principle teachers and professors.” - Jinil Fleischman (Las Vegas, USA)
It is very flexible for me, as I have to work and take care of my children and study at the same time. It is possible to study abroad and have lectures from high level professors. - Marjeta Rroshi (Albania)
The discussions and homework meant frequent interaction with other students. I was exposed to many new ideas. - Nina Urbonya (Michigan,USA)
During the course, I was challenged to creatively and analytically research how Father and Mother Moon lived out their thought – very publicly. - Jurate Chocholskiene (Lithuania)
For me it is a really good experience about new things. - Alexey Mikhaylin (Belarus)
Teaching this online course is great fun. I like it better than teaching in the classroom because the feedback I get from my students is much more instantaneous. - Dr. Andrew Wilson (New York, USA)
UTS-Online continued in its second year, with the following courses in the Fall 2018 semester:
- Islam, taught by Dr. Drissa Kone, Adjunct Professor of Ministry at UTS,
- Unification Philosophy, taught by Dr. Keisuke Noda, Professor of Philosophy, and Academic Dean, at UTS.
- Divine Principle In Depth, taught by Dr. Andrew Wilson, Professor of Scriptural Studies at UTS.
- The global center of Unification research and application. It is the world’s primary resource for the life and teachings of Father and Mother Moon, Divine Principle and Unification scriptures, theology and philosophy.
- The best place to learn blessed marriage tradition, family and community leadership, pastoring, teaching and counseling.
- The place to qualify for professions in ministry, education, administration, chaplaincy and advanced studies.
What’s next for you?
- Do you want to build a world of true peace, with one family under God?
- Do you want to be empowered to build a God-centered family and to help others do the same?
- Do you want to liberate yourself, your family, and this world?
With UTS-Online you can:
- Fit graduate-level study into your schedule: take courses in your home, and even while traveling.
- Empower your personal growth and spiritual transformation.
- Engage and learn together with online students from around the world.
- Equip yourself with practical insights and scriptural grounding.
- Apply what you are learning immediately in your work or ministry.
- Learn from UTS’s outstanding scholars.
Upcoming Online courses
UNIFICATION RITUALS AND TRADITIONS
This course will examine the Unification traditions, which have found expression in and through the devotional life of Sun Myung and Hak Ja Han Moon, as they have sought through their life course to attend and comfort our Heavenly Parent. Special attention will be given to the various rituals, which are such an important part of the Unification tradition: Pledge, Holy Days, Births, Marriage Blessing, the Seonghwa ceremony (funeral), and others.
Taught by Dr. William Selig, Adjunct Assistant Professor of Pastoral Ministry. Dr. Selig is an interfaith hospital chaplain in Northern Virginia. He serves as National Advisor, End-of-Life Counseling (Seonghwa) of the Blessing & Family Ministry, FFWPU.
LIFE AND THOUGHT OF SUN MYUNG AND HAK JA HAN MOON
We will study Father and Mother Moon’s lives from the perspective of their biblical teaching on the mission of the Messiah. Students will examine their systematic pursuit of an ideal world, the kingdom of heaven on earth, starting with “be ye therefore perfect” and proceeding to the completion of the ideal family, community, nation and world that God and all humankind desire.
Taught by Dr. Tyler Hendricks, Associate Professor of Ministry. Dr. Hendricks is former President of the Unification Church, USA, and former President of UTS. Dr. Hendricks publishes podcasts, videos and a blog at trueparentsway.com
THEOLOGY OF PEACEBUILDING
Peacebuilding denotes the work of churches and NGOs to diffuse tensions to prevent war and to restore bonds of community after the wreckage of war. This course studies: 1) Jesus’ words on peace; 2) Christian pacifism and its critics; 3) Just War theory; 4) the family and peace; 5) human rights and the value of life; 6) strategies of faith-based peacebuilding as practiced in conflict zones and international conferences; 7) Mahatma Gandhi and Martin Luther King, Jr.’s teachings on non-violence. Along the way, we highlight Unification teachings and activities that contribute to peace.
This is a core course for the MA Program
Taught by Dr. Andrew Wilson, Professor of Scriptural Studies. Dr. Wilson is a prolific scholar covering religion, peace, character education, and the theory of the spirit world.
Courses will begin Monday, March 11, 2019 and finish Friday, May 10, 2019.
Friday, March 1, 2019.
Please support our innovative programs and help us bring UTS education to an even wider global audience. You can do this in two ways:
- Share UTS Global with your friends and family.
- Give generously to the UTS-Online initiative so that we can multiply the courses and expand the program.
For more information on UTS Online or to sign up for courses please visit https://uts.edu/online