hiroshi hosokawa uts 06It is with profound sorrow that we announce the passing of Hiroshi Hosokawa (UTS'06) on August 8, 2019

Hiroshi Hosokawa was born on April 11, 1951 in Mutsu City, Aomori Prefecture, Japan. The second son of six children to Kanjiro and Yoshie Hosokawa, he attended elementary, middle and high school in his hometown before gaining employment at Mitsubishi Heavy Industries in Kanagawa Prefecture.

From a young age, he enjoyed nature and he liked making things related to radios and electronics. On days he wasn’t working, he liked to travel, and on one of his trips, he met the church.

In 1975, Hiroshi met his wife Mariko at the 1800 Couples Marriage Blessing, with whom he would share more than 40 years of his life together. In 1976, he came to the United States with the International One World Crusade, and participated in the Yankee Stadium and Washington Monument rallies with the church. After that, he went on to work on building boats and boat trailers, building maintenance, and then to maintaining and repairing industrial machinery.

When the two started a family while he was working as a manager of an apartment building in New York, Hiroshi made most of the things they wanted or needed at the time. He always used to say, “Don’t say ‘Please do it’, say, ‘Let’s do it together’”, and the two would draw blueprints based on her ideas, saw wood, and make cabinets and such together. Although they didn’t have much money, they still were able to make a comfortable home for themselves. Between 1980 to 1983, they had three children: Shigeishi, Takami, and Tadamichi. They are now blessed with 10 grandchildren.

Hiroshi was very skilled with his hands and frequently gifted handmade wooden toys to his children and grandchildren. He also liked to learn and was very knowledgeable about many things. He was normally a quiet and reticent person, but if asked about something, he would surprise you by talking on and on about his thoughts and opinions. He had a strong sense of justice and was a very kind person who would often make time to spend together with his wife, often helping her by taking photographs with his camera.

After a long battle with diabetes and its complications, Hiroshi passed away on August 8, 2019. For the last several years, he was increasingly having difficulty with his vision and had trouble walking on his own. It was becoming more and more difficult for him to live and act independently. His departure at this time may be from his kindness and consideration so as not to trouble those around him, while at the same time, freeing himself from his own pain. Even though it was not a long one, we believe he lived a happy life.