Ward, Thomas J.
Professor of Peace and Development
Thomas J. Ward serves as President of Unification Theological Seminary and Professor of Peace and Development Studies. Prior to his current role, he served for eighteen years as Dean of the University of Bridgeport's College of Public and International Affairs where he taught graduate courses on Culture and Development, Peace and Conflict Studies, and Political and Economic Integration.
Dr. Ward has lived and worked in the United States, Europe, Latin America and East Asia. He lectures in English, French and Spanish, and has a working knowledge of several other European and Asian languages. In 2008 he was appointed to serve as a member of the Connecticut Department of Higher Education’s Policy Advisory Council on International Education and served in that role until 2011.
Ward’s writings and research have been published in the Washington Times, World and I Magazine, the International Journal of World Peace, East Asia Quarterly, Asia-Pacific Journal: Japan Focus, the Journal of Unification Studies, Unification Thought Institute (Japan), Paragon House, and E-International Relations. He has been a Fulbright Scholar, a Taiwan Foreign Ministry Research Fellow, and a guest lecturer at the Academy of Social Science in Beijing and at Academia Sinica’s Institute of Modern History in Taipei.
Dr. Ward has authored or edited more than ten books including March to Moscow—The Role of the Reverend Sun Myung Moon in the Collapse of Communism (Paragon 2005).
- D.Ed. De La Salle University
- M.R.E. Unification Theological Seminary
- M.A. California State University
- Dipl.(Hons), Dipl. Sup. (D.S.) University of Paris-Sorbonne
- B.A. University of Notre Dame
Books (Partial Listing):
- Park Statue Politics: World War II Comfort Women Memorials in the United States, (London: E-International Relations, 2019).
- March to Moscow—The Role of the Rev. S.M. Moon in the Collapse of Communism, (St. Paul, Minnesota: Paragon House, 2006), pp. 191.
- Development, Social Justice, and Civil Society—An Introduction to the Political Economy of NGOs, (Minneapolis: Paragon House, 2005)
- The 104th Congress and the United Nations: Understanding the Issues, (New York: World Leadership Publications, 1996), Contributors included UN Secretary General Koffi Annan and Bruce Russett, Dean Acheson Professor of Political Science and Professor in International and Area Studies, MacMillan Center, Yale University, http://campuspress.yale.edu/brucerussett/publications/articles-monographs/.
- A Guide to Pensions in the E.E.C. (Paris: C.E.R.R. Publications, 1991). (Translated by Thomas J. Ward)
- An Idea whose Time has come: The History of CAUSA International, (New York: Causa Institute, 1990).
- The CAUSA Lecture Manual (New York: Causa Institute, 1984).
Articles (Most Recent):
- “The Competing Narratives of Statue Politics,” E-International Relations, February 24, 2019, https://www.e-ir.info/2019/02/24/the-competing-narratives-of-statue-politics/.
- “Global Citizenship: Aspiration or Reality?” 40th International Academic Conference of the International Institute of Social and Economic Science, Stockholm, Sweden, ISBN 978-80-87927-67-0, IISES, June 25, 2018
- “The Comfort Women Controversy—Lessons from Taiwan, The Asia-Pacific Journal: Japan Focus, April 15, 2018, https://apjjf.org/2018/08/Ward.html.
- “China, Taiwan, and an Important Anniversary,” The Washington Times, February 27, 2017, https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2017/feb/26/china-taiwan-and-228-massacre-anniversary/.
- “Remembering the Chinese Spring,” The Washington Times, December 27, 2016, https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2016/dec/27/remembering-the-chinese-spring/.
- "The Comfort Women Controversy: Not over Yet,” East Asia Quarterly, October 2016, https://link.springer.com/content/pdf/10.1007%2Fs12140-016-9260-z.pdf
- “How the Shanghai Rankings have transformed French Education,” Journal of Global Development and Peace, Fall 2013, pp. 51-57, https://files.bridgeport.edu/public/Research/Journal-of-Global-Development-and-Peace/Journal-for-GLDP-2013.pdf.
- “Unification Thought’s Insights into Gandhi’s Approach to Peace,” Journal of Unification Studies, vol. 13, 2012, pp. 113-138, https://journals.uts.edu/volume-xiii-2012/173-unification-thought-s-insights-into-gandhi-s-approach-to-peace.
- “The Shared Trajectories of Al Qaeda and the Ku Klux Klan,” International Journal of World Peace, December 2011, pp. 77-97, https://ijwp.org/annual-indexes/volume-xxviii-2011/.
- Unification Worldview
- Public Leadership in the Social Sector
- Conflict Analysis and Negotiation
Human Rights Commissioner of Dutchess County, New York (1998-2000)
Committee on Teaching about the United Nations Delegate at Large (2018-2019)
Distinguished Dean Emeritus of the Bridgeport College of Public and International Affairs (May 2019).
Academic Honor Societies: Phi Beta Kappa, Pi Sigma Alpha (National Political Science Honor Society), Sigma Iota Rho (International Studies Honor Society), Theta Alpha Kappa (National Honor Society for Religious Studies and Theology), Phi Kappa Phi.